We’re back with another edition of ‘Top Travel Essentials’, where we delve into the suitcase of top artists from around the globe to discover what they really take on tour with them and the items they can’t seem to live without.
We chatted with K?lsch to get the lowdown on his life on tour before he travels to Australia for Festival X.
For your Fabric Presents album, you drew inspiration from flights. Will you be producing anything on the long flight to Australia?
I’m sure I will. I usually spend a fair amount of time on long haul flights producing new music. It’s the perfect place to focus, as usually I get interrupted all the time. No Phones are a blessing sometimes.
What 5 essential things do you pack when heading on tour?
1. Rolex GMT. I always time my sets when I play. It’s not a precise science, but I need to know how much time I have left. I make mental notes in long sets as to when to add tempo or energy to my sets. Basically I feel naked without a watch. The GMT function is also super useful on travels.
2. Isotopic tablets that dissolve in water. I tend to play long sets and drinking only water will just flush all Vitamins and salts out. These help with that.
3. Campfire Audio Atlas and Astell Kern Digital Walkman. This is my Headfi setup for traveling. I love to listen to Albums in full length. It’s become a real obsession.
4. Pantofola Doro K?lsch sneaker. I?m testing the prototype of my shoe collab these days. Seeing how they hold up to travel and festivals across the world.
5. Horizn ST pro trolley. My good friend Seth Troxler designed this. It’s the perfect DJ Trolley and fits everything I need.
Are you visiting anywhere new this time on your trip to Australia?
Sadly not. I really love Australia and I?ve spent a lot of time in amazing places, but this time I sadly can?t stay long, as I?m back to touring the weekend after Festival X.
We recently saw your set at Sonus festival after DJ Koze & Sven Vath which was a wonderful journey.
How do you differ your approaches to sets depending on the artists on the bill alongside you?
I really try and avoid having other DJs on the lineup influence my sets. It’s obviously very hard, especially in such cases as Sven Vath, and Koze playing before you.
Sometimes there are real fanboy moments for me as I play alongside heroes of mine.
The real reason for my focus, is that I believe that the connection between the Artist and the audience is a very ?holy? thing.
My performance should only be a reflection of the energy from the audience, and that?s what I strive to achieve.
With such a busy touring schedule, do you get much time to relax in your homeland, Denmark?
Not much sadly. I really miss Copenhagen, my family and friends. It’s become weirdly exotic to visit my City these days. Only good thing is that every time I?m home, there are so many new restaurants I haven?t tried.
The modern-day touring DJs get very little downtime. How do you like to spend yours?
I love to cook for friends. For me the real luxury these days, is to spend time with people I love.
Those precious moments are too few. Also nothing beats a home cooked meal.
Keep up to date with K?lsch on socials below.
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | SOUNDCLOUD
Catch him at Festival X in Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne.
When: Brisbane ? 29th November | Sydney ? 30th November | Melbourne ? Sunday 1st December.
Who’s playing: Calvin Harris | Armin van Buuren | Steve Aoki | Alison Wonderland | Camelphat | K?lsch | Paul Kalkbrenner live | Nic Fanciulli | Tchami | MaRLo* | MK (Marc Kinchen) | Anna Lunoe | Generik & many more.